Wednesday, January 14, 2009

You wan a piece of me?

We're slowly easing back into the school routine. I had somehow forgotten the ten million papers that Camden brings home everyday from school. Seriously, how does everyone keep it organized? And here I am complaining when Margo has 3 kiddos in the same grade to deal with, sheesh. But I do really love routine. I know what's expected, what's coming up, when I can be lazy and when I need to look half-way presentable.

I have to tell this little story before I forget. I was working out yesterday at the church with Susan and there was just us there, with our two kids, Aidan and Addie, who are the same age. They play really well together and it's so nice not to have to worry about refereeing all the time. As Susan and I were doing some complicated Pilates move...haha, I jest, but we were doing Pilates! Anyway, I hear Aidan say;

Aidan: (after making some transformation noises) I just turned into a Ninja Turtle! You wanna piece of me?!

(seriously, where does he get this stuff? Oh, right. Parker.)

And then Addie pipes up, without missing a beat in her teeny tiny voice:

Addie: You want a piece of my butt?

I kid you not, that was verbatim!! Susan and I just busted out laughing and all Pilates stretching was forgotten for a moment. These two sweet, cute three year olds come up with the darndest things.


All right, enough about butts...it's juveniley funny to write the word butt. C'mon. try it. I guarantee you'll giggle a little or at least smirk in a very irreverent manner.

I'm using my blog for my own selfish goals and pursuits, hey, I'm just following the crowd. And so I've decided to turn this into a forum. The topic for today's discussion is: the mini-van.

Yes, folks, we might actually purchase a vehicle that is NOT a Subaru...breathe, just breathe. I know that the news is shocking but it is what it is. We've been looking into the Honda Odyssey and what I would like to know from you, dear Reader, is what are your own personal experiences with mini-vans. Pros? Cons? Hate 'em? Love 'em? Does the 8th seat really matter? Leather or cloth interior?

This is a huge step for us but convenience is quickly winning the battle over our much-loved Tribeca. Not that we're getting rid of our mini-SUV but sadly our little red car will be leaving the family. He's just not carrying his own weight and it's for the good of the whole.

Oh, and before I forget. I need some good book ideas. I'm coming up blank whenever I go to the library and that is just not acceptable.

13 comments:

Nguyen Family said...

Here's my opinin for what its worth. We only have seven seats, because if you have eight, then there isn't an isle to get to the back row, which we thought was important. I would go with leather, easier to keep clean right? We looked at a LOT of different vans and wouldn't have any other than the honda. It drives better and feels roomier to us (personal opinon). The new ones even have the rear camera to see what your backing into and built in gps and DVD, (as everything else does these days). Good luck! PS--I don't feel like an old fart driving one either. :o)

Vanessa said...

I L-o-v-e my van. call me a nerd, i'm fine with that. So much room for kids and all their gear and friends.
Also, about the book thing, are you on goodreads? i will send you an invite thing. I have read a lot of good books since i joined!

Vanessa said...

yeah, so i just looked you up on goodreads and i'm thinking i did send you an invite a couple weeks back. It's really nice to be able to find a book to read based on my friends book recommendations. goodreads rocks.

Adam and Cassie Pierson said...

I have no advice in the van arena... my husband won't let me get near one. As for books, I'm reading The Hiding Place by Corrie TenBoom and it really is a great book. Good luck with your decision!

Sarah Smiles said...

Hey Emily! This is Sarah Eich. Do you remember me? I think of you whenever I make those yummy Molasses Sugar Cookies that I love! How are you. You look great! :) I found your blog through Catherine Hardy's.

Jennifer said...

OMG I friggin love my mini!

We bought ours through Costco brand new and saved like $6000 too!

Bethany said...

Okay Having had both a honda and a toyota minvan within the last year here is my take. The Toyota was nice but the Honda is better. We have seven seats and that is plenty especially for the same reason susan said. The Honda has a trunk that dips down so you have more storage space. We can comfortably fit all three of our kids with their carseats in the back row of the honda but there was no way with the toyota. The honda also has standard power doors on both sides with the sienna only has one. I think. The only thing is that Hondas are notorious for transmission problems so you have to factor that into the cost of the purchase. So my vote is for the Honda.

Kristin said...

It was love at first drive, Em! Anything that makes life a little easier is a winner in my book. My van was in the shop a month or so ago and I had to drive Aaron's car. Everyone felt so on top of each other and there was always fighting going on in the back seat. I didn't realize what a difference a little space makes. Plus, in the summers I carry around lawn chairs, blankets, coolers when he hit all the parks, baseball games, picnics, etc. The room is necessary. We have a Chevy Venture. I would love a new van just because mine is starting to make sounds. It has 8 seats, but they are all easily removeable. I love the option of being able to take out the middle seat for that aisle to the back, but also leave in it if I need it. They fold forward easily so kids don't have to climb over, but my kids don't mind climbing either...they're boys! Boys love to climb! So, there you have my opinion. An Oddysey would be awesome! Oh, and it goes without saying that power doors are a must, but I don't think they make vans WITHOUT that anymore! Happy van shopping!

Heather said...

Emily,
As you know...we have an Odyssey. I love ours. We have been cross country with that car, and she has been great. We have filled it to the top with camping gear, 2 kids in the back and a dog to boot! On many other occasions it has been filled with the entire family and all of our bikes. I love the fact that the back seat drops down. It is very handy for those times when you did not intend to buy something big, but you did. The trusty van was there to bring the item home....no need to borrow a truck!!! I too, only have 7 seats. It is more than enough room. Let me know what you decide!!!

Jon. Jamie. Ethan. Lynsi. Katie. said...

Hilarious! What a funny conversatino! I love to listen in on what kids really are talking about when they think their parents aren't listeneing!

HaLaine said...

So, one of the 11 cars we've had since we've been married was an Odyssey. I drove it for about six months before I gave up and sold it for a cute little Maxima which I stuffed my kids into, which has since been sold. I could not get over the fact that I was 27 and driving a minivan. Seriously. The remote sliding doors were great, leather all the way, DVD system which I never used cause I thought I would be a bad mom for doing so, all the room and the separation of children, yes. Minivan? I just couldn't do it. Still couldn't and we're facing the possibility of perhaps four children soon. I will find a way to stuff them into our truck.

marissa said...

Talk to Lanie about the minivan. You know they are a 2 van family now! For a book......I recommend anything Charles Dickens. I'm reading David Copperfield right now.

Goldthorpe Family! said...

I have no comments about minivans. Love mine and hate it all at once so I won't go there.

But, a good quick read is called Christmas Jars. And, if you're up for classics, I really like Jane Eyre and Mansfield Park. :o)