Sunday, November 07, 2010

I was weak

When we moved into our current ward and we had the obligatory new member meeting with the Bishop, and he asked me what callings I've held in the past. I plastered on a smile and said, "I've been a sunbeam teacher for the past eight years. ...and I would really like a different calling then that."

Now, I think teaching in primary is very rewarding and a much needed calling. I dutifully served. But, after eight years and four wards, I felt that I REALLY needed a change. So on the July fourth weekend, I was called to be the YW President!

I was excited. Intimidated. So grateful. And clueless.

Growing up, I wasn't really into the whole YW/church thing. I'll just say that certain leaders and their attitudes really effected my desire to be part of that program. I didn't do personal progress. Basketball activities kept me away from mutual nights, and I was perfectly happy.

Fast forward to me being the YW president...I was innocent. I had no idea what New Beginnings was(a night every January to welcome the incoming girls in that year to young women), or what Young Women in Excellence was(a night to celebrate their personal progress achievement of the year), or how many meetings were required. ( A lot.)

My typical fast Sunday, which was today, goes like this:
Wake up around 6:30am, (after having already woken up in the night with Wyatt at least once)

Attend Ward Council at 7:30am for one hour

Church starts at 9am, and I'm usually counting the number of girls in attendance to see who is missing, who needs to be picked up, looking for visitors or new families, etc.

Most Sacrament meetings, I leave after the Sacrament has been passed to pick up some girls.

During the second hour of church, I am usually making copies for lessons/activities/announcements, etc.

Then the third hour is the golden hour. I teach every third week but open the meeting every week and make announcements and reminders. Today we met for opening exercises with the Relief Society, and then went back to our room.

Sometimes I have Wyatt but mostly I don't, which is very helpful. (Thank you sweets!)

Today, I stayed for two hours after church to set up the rooms for our YW in Excellence program on Wednesday night. I have two amazing counselors who are so dependable and helpful. Love those ladies. I must say that the rooms look amazing and I hope the girls really appreciate all that is done for them.

I came home, the last one to leave the church, and collapsed.

At church, I hardly ever feel tired. I am so focused and my mind is trying to remember so many details and relationships. I'm in the zone.

When I come home, it's like I'm a marionette and as soon as I walk into my living room, the puppeteer cuts my strings. I literally walked over to the couch, flopped down, and was out. I slept for two hours!

Then there are Wednesday night activities to plan, meetings with the YM Presidency, Stake functions to chaperon, Temple trips to organize, etc.

Not every Sunday starts with an early morning meeting, but some days I also have evening meetings with the youth and the Bishopric. But I have been recognizing the Lord's influence and power in my life.

Being able to focus and take care of everyone and everything during the church block is a blessing. Having the energy and stamina to keep up with the requirements/demands/needs of this calling and the girls' was very overwhelming at first. Wyatt is only seven months old for goodness sake!

But I love, love, love my Young Women. They are unique. They all have different strengths and weaknesses. Some have trials. But they come on Sundays willing to listen and learn and eager to be taught. I truly look forward every Sunday to being in their presence. I breathe in the essence of their youth. To be reminded of the excitement and drama of being a teenager.

I may not have the best "resume" to be a YW leader or teacher, let alone a President but this calling has taught me that with God all things are possible. He makes weak things become strong. And by loving my girls, I am reminded of His love for them and for me. How precious we women are. We are His daughters. His. That makes everyone, no matter their life circumstance, a queen. A princess. Priceless.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

YW is the best calling EVER!!! I have been the Laurel Advisor in my ward for more than 3 years and I did it for a year in our ward in California. I love working with the YW. The president thing sounds really hard. Good luck with that. :-) Remember, with God all things are possible.

Johnson Family said...

YW is the ONLY calling I have never had, and the ONE calling I have always wanted! HA! I love reading about your experiences and all that you are learning. I am so happy to hear you love it. I know it is SO much work, but I know your family is blessed for your service. The youth of the church need you!