Sunday, January 08, 2012

The poor thing that is Aidan

Soooo...my Aidan is special. I've already written about his numerous, although relatively minor, medical issues, ie ocular albinism, multiple ear tubes, adenoid/tonsil removal, sticking a button up his nose, etc.


Well, last Tuesday he was having some tummy trouble. Aidan made many bathroom trips and informed me he had diarrhea. Great. He went through every pair of clean underwear but he took care of everything himself so I wasn't too inconvenienced. Because, that's obviously the most important thing...


Towards the end of the day, he was in the bathroom for quite a while. He was calling my name but I kept telling him to wait a sec, cuz really, where was he gonna go? When I finally deigned him with my presence(this will get graphic, sorry but it's for posterity...)Aidan told me that he was stuck and his bowels couldn't get rid of the offending excrement.


Side note: they never tell you in the all-knowing-mother's-handbook that we have to be so intimately acquainted with our children's bowel movements. When they're babies, yes but I hadn't anticipated being up close and personal when they were in grade school.


So I looked at my skinny naked boy sitting on the pot and said the famous words, "Let me see." 
Not that I really wanted to see but as the resident mommy in attendance it was my solemn duty.


What I saw next, I was not prepared for. I thought maybe he was straining for too long and had a small hemorrhoid that was bothering him. It's not common in children but it is possible. Aidan had been in the bathroom for quite a while so maybe he was having the same bowel issues as Camden. 


However, what was there is almost impossible to describe but I knew it was definitely NOT a hemorrhoid. It was about the size of his fist; granted he has small hands but still...  It was a deep blush color and oddly enough, looked like a closed rose. SOOOOOO not normal. As I stared in fascination, horror, and concern the monstrosity was quickly pulled back in and disappeared from view.


With all the faith that only a child can possess, Aidan said, "Thanks Mom! You helped me. It's better now. "


I had done nothing though I wanted to take credit for something but I graciously stepped aside and informed him that his own rectal muscles saved the day. 


Of course it happened after the doctor's office was closed, Nathan had a church meeting to attend and so I had to wait until the next morning to get Aidan in to see the doctor. Not that there was anything to see anymore because his pretty little flower had yet to reappear. 


I had done some random researching on my own on the internet to try to find a picture that I could describe to the doctor of what I saw. Now that is love in it's purest form. To look at pictures of random adult and child anuses with various forms of hemmorrhoidal issues online was beyond squirmy but I was on a mission!


And I did come up with an answer that his doctor agreed with. This poor little skinny boy of mine had been straining so hard and has such ferocious stomach muscles that he had pushed the lining of his rectum outside his body, or it's also know as a rectal prolapse.


Let that sink in a little bit....yeah, not right.
Of all the random things, this was a first for me. But Aidan has been fine ever since. He's now on Camden's juice/miralax/lots of water regimen and has been doing well ever since. Aidan's doctor called us at home two days later to check up on him, which she has never done before so that confirmed how unusual and potentially serious this had been. 


Stay tuned next time because oh yes, there is more. Just two days later he visited the ENT and it involved a crayon...

1 comment:

rachel said...

You crack me up! Your poor little guy! It's so true that you never know what you will deal with as a mother! Good work, my friend!