Friday, January 06, 2012

silly boys

As I was standing in front of the fire this morning, in my flannel pajama bottoms and loose black sleep shirt, my hair was sticking up like a rooster and, obviously, sans make up; I looked up and Camden was standing on the stairs just staring at me.  I was getting Wyatt's clothes laid out so that I could get him dressed when he was finished in the shower with daddy. Camden continued to stare. As I finished with my preparations I asked him what he was doing?

"Staring at you," he said. Duh!
"Why?" I asked.
"Because I think you're beautiful." was his nonchalant reply.

Oh!!! My heart was full. What a sweet little boy. Well, not so little anymore. He was recently telling Nathan and I about some inappropriate conversations boys were having at school. Apparently, they talk about girls' boobies in the bathroom where they can't be overheard! While I wanted to laugh I was also very much reminded that he was growing up. Camden is only in 3rd grade. I don't remember talking about such things but it was probably going on. Children at that age are so curious and they imitate what adults say and what they see on t.v.  Sexy was another word Camden was uncomfortable with.

I guess I need to stop being an ostrich with my head stuck in the ground and I need to be more proactive in facilitating these conversations with my son. Nathan and I want him to be comfortable around us so that he won't be afraid to discuss these things.

I don't want him to grow up!!! Whaaaaaaaaa....

1 comment:

marissa said...

AHHHH! How sweet! I bet you just melted away at that moment. What a sweetie. I can't believe how big he is getting. It is too bad that all the inappropriate talk starts so young. He is such a good boy though.