Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Envy breeds negativity

I have a bad habit of comparing myself to others. It's not pretty. It causes nothing but feelings of inadequacy, discontent, and negativity. So, in order to break this vicious cycle I'm going to attempt to say something positive or something I'm grateful for everyday on facebook. I'm also going to make a list of my blessings on here because it will do me good to see what an amazing life I have to be grateful for.

For example: Today has been fairly eventful. I planned on trying a hydro fit class at the YMCA because I have been having SI Joint issues and cannot do any aerobic exercise that involves any jarring of the back. So I've gone from doing P90X everyday and working out at the Y on top of that to going to gentle yoga with the senior citizens and trying water aerobics...I've not been happy about this but my back feels better on my anti-inflammatories and without jarring it so I'm willing to do what it takes.

My plan was to go to the Y at 10:30am. Nathan had some errands to run and he was going to take Wyatt with him and be home in time to get Aidan off the bus. I was really looking forward to a kid-free morning but when Wyatt woke up his left ear was covered with dried ear gunk. I knew he had an ear infection. He's had a cold for three weeks now and even though he has ear tubes I was wondering if they would be able to keep up with the amount of drainage coming out the little man's nose. Apparently, they couldn't.

I decided that I needed to take him in this morning so I made a 9:30am appointment, which meant that I wouldn't be working out today. I sucked it up because that's what all mom's do when their kid is sick. I know my life isn't very different from anyone else's. I took Wyatt to the doctor and my suspicions of an ear infection were confirmed. We headed home.

 (Just a funny side note: on the way home, as I was exiting the freeway I went over a part of the rumble strip and Wyatt goes, "Was dah?" then a tiny "scuze me." Apparently the car farted and he was taking the blame. hahahaha. ahem. side note ending...)

Once we got home, I checked my email for a few minutes and noticed that Wyatt was unusually quiet. When I went around the corner I caught him gleefully drawing all over the wall. I counted to three in my mind, took away the pencil, and put him on time out, where he actually stayed for his two minutes. Small victories people.

I began cleaning the kitchen, which was trashed from the night before. Nathan came home and distracted Wyatt while I was up to my elbows in hot water and soap suds. As I was finishing cleaning my biggest glass pan, I tried to balance it on the other dishes on the counter. Bad move. It began to slip and as I went to catch it, my hands were also wet and it was like trying to catch a greased pig. It didn't work. My pan came crashing down onto my hard tile floor and shattered into a million pieces. Another deep breath was needed.

Nathan was also home to get Aidan off the bus so I didn't have to stop cleaning. Aidan had a rough day at school and brought home a yellow paper. Apparently he thought playing and being silly were far more important then following directions and listening to the teacher. And this might be mean, but it means that he'll be in trouble today and possibly be in his room for a portion of it which gives me a break from having to listen to him talk all. day. long.

I tried to think positively about this situation. I couldn't change it. Just like I couldn't change that Wyatt had scribbled all over my wall. But I could move forward. I could stop grumbling about "why me" and start thinking about how I was blessed today.

1. We have insurance and a doctor to see when our kids are sick.
2. I didn't have to wait eons to be seen by said doctor.
3. My kitchen is clean
4. Pencil is easily cleaned up off of walls
5. Nathan was home when I broke the pan I've had for almost 12 years so he could distract Wyatt from coming into the disaster area.
6. I was wanting/needing to mop my floor anyway so vacuuming and sweeping it thoroughly was going to happen anyway.
7. Aidan has to write a note of apology to his teacher so he gets to practice his writing skills and spends some time in his room. aaaahhh, quiet...

So, I am grateful today for having a spouse with Wednesdays off. And for brooms and vacuums that make clean up easier. I'm grateful that pencil is easily erasable and that Aidan has a teacher willing to hold him accountable for his actions.

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Just when I thought I couldn't love you any more than I already do! You are amazing Lem!!